The mass of statistics provided in the previous chapter tends to blur the utilisation of the Corridor Tenders. As previously stated the Corridor Tenders were intended to facilitate the change over of crews on the non stop workings between London and Edinburgh, it follows therefore that the tenders would be attached to engines working from King's Cross and Haymarket Sheds.
Class A1 Nº4476 ROYAL LANCER of Grantham Shed was fitted with a Corridor tender on 5/4/1928, 6 days later on 11/4/1928 it was transferred to King's Cross Shed. The engine was attached to two further Corridor Tenders, giving a continuous period of attachment of 9 years 2 months, the longest time any Class A1 or A3 engine was ever so coupled.
This is closely followed by Class A1 Nº4472 FLYING SCOTSMAN, which coincidentally was attached to a Corridor Tender on the same day (5/4/1928) and transferred to King's Cross on the same day (11/4/1928), as Nº4476. Nº4472 was attached to two further Corridor Tenders until 19/10/1936, giving a total period of attachment of 8 years 6 months.
Another King's Cross Engine Class A1 Nº4475 FLYING FOX had a Corridor Tender from 10/8/1928 until 4/9/1934, a period of 6 years 1 month, lost its tender for 11 days, regained its tender on 15/9/1934 and retained it for 7 months until 25/4/1935, when it was attached to another corridor tender for a further 1 year 5 months until 23/10/1936. A total period of attachment of 8 years 1 month.
Contrast the above lengthy periods of attachment with some of the briefer periods enjoyed by other engines. Class A1 4474 VICTOR WILD 11 days (on loan from Nº 4475), although to be fair this engine did have a Corridor Tender for 13 months from 10/7/1933 to 24/8/1934.
After a Light Repair at Doncaster works Class A1 Nº2547 Doncaster was given a Corridor Tender and returned to King's Cross on 26/4/1928 and after 7 days, on 2/5/1928, lost the tender to Class A1 Nº2546 Donovan, which kept the tender for only 4 days before it was restored back to Nº2547 on 6/5/1928, which then managed to keep the tender for 5 years 1 month until 15/6/1933.
Two further Southern Area engines had brief flirtations with Corridor Tenders. Class A1 Nº2556 ORMONDE left Doncaster Works after a General Overhaul on 26/5/1928 fitted with a Corridor Tender, and returned to Grantham Shed. The engine was transferred to King's Cross on 1/6/1928 and lost its tender 6 days later on 7/6/1928, having only had the tender for a total of 12 days. The Corridor Tender went to Class A1 Nº2552 SANSOVINO which kept it for 2 month until 10/8/1928 when the tender went to Nº4475 FLYING FOX (see above).
Things North of the Border were even more complex when it came to fitting the Corridor Tenders. The three Haymarket A1s with the Modified Valve Gear selected to receive the Corridor Tender were usually overhauled at Cowlairs Works, and the tenders were built at Doncaster. Class A1 Nº2563 WILLIAM WHITELAW received its tender via Gateshead Class A1 Nº2569 GLADIATEUR. How and where Nº2569 got the Corridor Tender is not known, its last exit from works being on 22/3/1928 after a General Overhaul. However it got a Corridor Tender on 24/4/1928 which it kept for 22 days, until 16/5/1928, when presumably it worked to Edinburgh and Haymarket were able to do the switch. Nº2563 kept the tender for 2 years 1 month until 17/6/1930 when it was transferred to Class A3 Nº 2795 CALL BOY where it stayed for 6 years 10 months until called into works to be refurbished for use with the A4s on 15/4/1937.
Newly rebuilt Class A3 Nº2573 HARVESTER left Doncaster Works on 17/4/1928, but strangely is recorded as receiving a Corridor Tender on 10/4/1928. The previous home shed for Nº2573 had been Gateshead, but on leaving Works the engine was dispatched to Haymarket, where it resided for 3 months before being transferred back to Gateshead on 5/7/1928. In the meantime Haymarket must have decided that the Corridor Tender would be more use on Class A1 Nº2564 KNIGHT OF THE THISTLE and switched tenders on 2/7/1928. The tender stuck with Nº2564 for 7 years 3 months until 17/10/1935.
The third Class A1 at Haymarket with the Modified Valve Gear was Nº2565 MERRY HAMPTON, which received its Corridor Tender via new Class A3 Nº2749 FLAMINGO. This is a slightly curious one in that Nº2749 was put into traffic on 26/1/1929 working from Doncaster Shed, acquired the Corridor Tender from Class A3 Nº 2743 FELSTEAD on 6/2/1929, and on the same day was transferred to Carlisle. Nº 2743 was put into traffic on 22/8/1928 and had been working from Doncaster Shed with the Corridor Tender for six months before switching with Nº2749. After working from Carlisle for 42 days Nº2749 gave up the Corridor Tender to Nº2565 MERRY HAMPTON on 20/3/1929, as it left Cowlairs Works after a General Overhaul.
Another round the houses transfer took place involving new Class A3 Nº2745 CAPTAIN CUTTLE ex-works 8/9/1928, and fitted with a Corridor Tender, and sent to Doncaster Shed for a month or so to be "run in". Nº2745 was transferred to Haymarket on 24/10/1928, that should have been the perfect opportunity to use the new A3 on the duties it was designed and equipped for, or switch the tender to one of the more favoured engines. But no, 2 days later on 26/10/1928 it was transferred to Carlisle (still with the Corridor Tender) and worked from there for I year 8 months until 30/6/1930, before exchanging tenders with Haymarket Class A3 Nº2796 SPEARMINT, which retained the tender for 6 years 7 months until it was taken to be refurbished for an A4 on 29/1/1937.
Evidence that Haymarket finally got round to accepting the Class A3 on to non stop duties is shown above, and by new Class A3 Nº2795 CALL BOY ex-works 19/4/1930 and allocated straight to Haymarket, after 2 months on 17/6/1930 it exchanged tenders with Nº2563 WILLIAM WHITELAW, and retained the Corridor Tender for 6 years 10 months until 15/4/1937 when it was taken for use with an A4.
Back at King's Cross new Class A3 Nº2744 GRAND PARADE was ex-works 23/8/1928 and fitted with a Corridor Tender, which it retained for 10 months until 26/9/1929 when the tender went to the then 2 months old Class A3 Nº2750 PAPYRUS. This was the start of a long running saga as these two engines exchanged tenders 4 times over the next 8 years. Nº2750 retained the tender for 3 years until 24/6/1932, back with Nº2744 for 4½ months until 20/1/1933, back then to Nº2750 for 5½ months until 8/7/1933, finally back to Nº2744 for 3 years 4 months until 2/12/1936 when it was taken for use with an A4. Summarising, No 2744 had the Corridor tender for a total period of 4 years 6½ months and Nº2750 for a total period of 3 years 5½ months. However that is not the full story with regard to Nº2750 as it was attached to two other Corridor Tenders, for a period of 2 years 3 months from 24/8/1934 to 13/11/1936, and for a period of just over 2 months from 30/6/1937 to 6.9.1937, giving a grand total for the period of attachment of 5 years 11 months.
Class A3 Nº2746 FAIRWAY seems straightforward with regard to the Corridor Tender, fitted 30/6/1929 and retained for just over 6 years 8 months, until 11/3/1937, when it was taken for use with an A4. However Nº2746 enjoyed a lengthy spell at King's Cross Shed from 26/10/1928 (8 months later it got the Corridor Tender) to 10/11/1936, when it was transferred to Gateshead, but was back at King's Cross a month later, on 15/12/1936. Into Doncaster Works for a Light Repair 11/3 to 24/4/1937 it lost its Corridor Tender.
The Corridor Tender above was first attached to newly rebuilt Class A3 No 2580 SHOTOVER on 20/4/1928 (at that time based at Heaton Shed) after 8 months it was removed by Darlington Works on 27/2/1929. The tender then reappeared 2 months later on new Class A3 Nº2752 SPION KOP on 20/4/1929 as it left Doncaster Works, but it only retained the tender for 2 months until 30/6/1929, before giving up the tender to Nº2746 (see above).
This then is the pre history of the 1928-style Corridor Tenders before they were attached to the new Class A4 Pacifics in 1937.
Researched and written by Mel Haigh,
Return to top
Copyright © The Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Trust Ltd